In honor of today being Aaliyah’s birthday, the artist would have been turning 44, read 10 facts about the icon.
- Aaliyah signed a record contract when she was only 12 years old.
- Her first album, “Age Aint Nothing But A Number,” was an instant hit upon its release in 1994. Aaliyah was only 15 when the album dropped.
- Aaliyah consistently maintained a 4.0 grade point average during her high school years.
- In 2001, Aaliyah’s final album was released, the self-titled, “Aaliyah.”
- Aaliyah performed “Journey To The Past” for the animated motion picture, Anastasia. The song was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song.
- Romeo Must Die was a box office hit in 2000, and Aaliyah shined in it. The project co-starred Jet Li. Romeo Must Die was Aaliyah’s first film as an actress.
- Aaliyah was cast in the Matrix sequels, Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Sadly, Aaliyah would pass away before she could appear in the projects. Aaliyah was poised to become one of the biggest stars in Hollywood.
- She was also slated to be the lead in the film Honey. The film was made with Jessica Alba in the title role after Aaliyah’s death.
- Aaliyah became a spokesmodel for Tommy Hilfiger in 1996. She was a fan of the brand before signing and was able to expand the reach of Hilfiger’s female apparel line.
- Early in her career, Aaliyah always wore sunglasses. Fans falsely began to speculate that Aaliyah always wore glasses to cover a glass eye. Those rumors were proven false, and the sunglasses were simply a fashion statement.
- Adam C. Better
Latest Blog Posts
Air Jordan 2 Retro 'Lucky Green'
The Air Jordan 2 Lucky Green is set to be the next must-have sneaker for sneakerheads and Jordan fans alike. This offering of the Air Jordan 2 features a white leather upper paired with Lucky Green contrasting accents throughout. The Air Jordan 2 was first released in 1986, designed by...
Remembering Kobe and Gigi
Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna Bryant, died on January 26, 2020. A helicopter crash took the lives of 9 people, including Bryant and his daughter. 2020 The year 2020 was devasting for the world, due to the pandemic. There was also racial injustice that hit the United States, and...
Air Jordan Sneaker Guide: 1-23
There is no sneaker brand or line that surpasses the cultural impact of the Air Jordan franchise. The first 23 Air Jordan sneakers hold a prestigious spot in the mythos of sneakers. Every Jordan has a story and an inseparable link to Michael Jordan’s iconic career. Learn more about the...