The Greatest. Not many individuals can live up to a nickname like The Greatest. Muhammad Ali not only lived up to the moniker, he surpassed it. Ali is still possibly the most recognizable man on earth. He is loved throughout the world and has made an impact as an athlete and leader.
Today is Ali’s birthday. Learn 10 facts about the icon below.
- Muhammad Ali started to box at the age of 12
- Having his bicycle stolen as a young boy inspired him to fight
- Ali won the Gold Medal for boxing at the 1960 Rome Olympics
- He was the first boxer to win the World Heavyweight title 3 times
- Ali was banned from boxing for three years because he refused to serve in the Vietnam War
- Superman fought Ali in a comic book, ‘Superman vs. Muhammad Ali’
- Only Michael Jordan has appeared on more Sports Illustrated covers than Muhammad Ali
- Ali made the cover of Time Magazine at the age of 21
- Will Smith was Ali’s personal choice to play him in the Ali movie
- In 2005, he was presented with the Medal of Freedom
In 2022, Shoe Palace released an exclusive collection dedicated to Muhammad Ali.
- Adam C. Better
Latest Blog Posts
10 Facts About Bob Marley
Bob Marley was born on February 6, 1945. In honor of the legend’s birthday, learn 10 Facts About Bob Marley. Bob Marley had a white father and an Afro-Jamaican mother. Being interracial led to him being made fun of and bullied by other children. The artist was a palm reader...
The Story of LeBron James
LeBron James has been an icon since high school. The basketball star could be the greatest to ever play the game. LeBron James is more than an athlete… he is a global icon. King James LeBron James was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003 straight out of high school....
The History of the Air Jordan 20
The Air Jordan XX was a unique release from Jordan Brand. It featured design elements never seen on an Air Jordan shoe previously. Read on to learn more about the Air Jordan XX. XX The great Tinker Hatfield returned to design the Air Jordan 20. Hatfield had not worked on...
Air Jordan 2 Retro 'Lucky Green'
The Air Jordan 2 Lucky Green is set to be the next must-have sneaker for sneakerheads and Jordan fans alike. This offering of the Air Jordan 2 features a white leather upper paired with Lucky Green contrasting accents throughout. The Air Jordan 2 was first released in 1986, designed by...